What is culture?
Culture can be defined as an evolving set of collective beliefs, values and attitudes. Culture is a key component in business and has an impact on the strategic direction of business. Culture influences management, decisions and all business functions from accounting to production.
Cultural Variability Dimentions:
- Individual vs Collective
- Power distance: Distributed Power vs Hierarchical Power
- Uncertainty avoidance: Low: risk talking vs High: Rules focused
- Femininity vs masculinity
- Other cultural norm considerations include: Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Generation, Social Classes and Social Structure
Potential cultural misunderstanding
- Eye contact
- Physical contact
- Rules of conversations/Silence
Business Culture videos
- What does Pellegrino do?
- What does he start with?
- What is culture for him?
- Queues: Which countries does he compare? How is it in France?
- What is he passionate about?
- Parking: Why did he get a fine in Oslo?
- Parking: What has happened in Italy?
La bise (sorry for the language!)
Links to Culture & Management Guides
IPAC STUDENTS: EXAM
You can expect the following:
- Business culture aspects and definitions:
- Examples – situations and countries
- Generations (comparison)
- Understanding of French culture and how it is different from culture in Germany, UK, Ireland, Poland and Russia. Analyse key elements and compare.
- Basic facts about 5 countries: Germany, Ireland, UK, Poland and Russia (political system, capital, Prime minister, President, currency, language, brief history, famous people, geography etc. ).
- Sandwich feedback – advantages and disadvantages
- Expressing opinions in English, discussion techniques, use of vocabulary related to Business culture.
- Book: Kiss, bow or shake hands by T. Morrison and W.A. Conway
- Harvard Business Review www.hbr.com
- THE TOP TEN WAYS THAT CULTURE CAN AFFECT INTERNATIONAL NEGOTIATIONS
- Article on SMILING – very interesting!
Have fun studying!